What's worse?

What could be worse than a Space Marine Legion that fell to the Chaos powers and rebelled against everything they once respected? We don't know, but it was probably pretty bad.



Friday, October 8, 2010

MJ;-) Project Log: Logan's Hunters, Squad 1


Well, this unit isn't quite 100% complete, but I can't wait any longer to post up some pictures of BONA FIDE PROGRESS!!! Bases need a little work. Can't decide if the ones with the models standing on larger rocks should have black/gray rocks or darker brown rocks. Also plan to paint the face of the base a frostbite skin color (my first P3 paint product).

This squad consists of Arjac (or simple TH/SS if I can't "afford" Arjac's hefty price tag in terms of game points), a 2nd TH/SS model, 2 Twin Wolf Claw members, and a Heavy Flamer with Chainfist.





















Above, we see "Arjac" in a slightly top-down shot. Arjac was completely built out of Wolf Guard bits. On this model's base, I need to do a little "white wash" of the crevices to tone down the blue, but the effect I'm going for is cracked ice/tundra/glacier. I also am going to use a few fine tip pens to do some freehand symbology and other work on his banner.





















One of my prouder moments in painting this squad was Arjac's Storm Shield. For this, I dry brushed a medium gray over the whole central part, then dry brushed a very light gray over the wolf skull and crossbones, followed by a light dry brush of ivory over that. The trim was picked out in red foundation paint, and the recessed portion around that was washed with badab black wash. Finished it off by painting the very edge with a metallic green (emerald) color.




















Here we see my two Twin Wolf Claw troopers. The one in the foreground is an Assault on Black Reach snap-together terminator with Wolf Guard wolf claws and shoulder pads. Plus a Wolf Guard "gubbin" on top.

The Wolf Claw trooper in the background, although not as easy to see do to the focus (or lack thereof), is one of the Space Hulk terminators.

Like Arjac, both of these guys need the blue in the base's crevices to be toned down with a white wash. The one in the foreground also needs me to decide how I'm going to do large rocks on the bases.





















Finally, we have the Heavy Flamer - Chainfist trooper. This was another one built entirely out of Wolf Guard bits. You can't really tell in this picture, but I did a devlan mud wash on the front 2/3rds of his flamer's muzzle, to give it a "used" look. He also suffers from the same base issues as the others - white wash the crevices, frostbite the face of the base, and figure out what to do with larger rocks.

So there you have it. Real progress. One squad, in about one week. Its not as assembly line as I usually paint, but in the end, I was able to stick with my "average" of one figure per evening rate of production. Here's hoping I can keep it up for a bit!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great. We will need to get in another game soon. It is also inspiring me to pick up a paint brush.

    ReplyDelete